Monday, August 31, 2009

My tiny little girl

Last Thursday I decided to weigh Aliya Juel because she was still wearing newborn clothes and she was going to be 3 months in a few days. I weighed her and she weighed 9# 1/2 oz, I have a baby scale because Jaxon was so small and I was a first time mama. Jaxon never lost weight but was always very small as well. With Aliya being this small it meant that she has lost 6 1/2 oz. With newborns this amount is quite a bit. I cried a lot last week because I am feeling like an inadequate mother. I am really trying to feed with only breast milk until at least 6 months because with Jaxon we started supplementing with formula at 3 months and it didn't fatten him up any but it did make my milk supply go down. I did a ton of research on-line until wee hours of the night to make the best educated decision. I found a few recipes that are supposed to increase your milk supply. So I headed to Whole Foods to buy all the healthy ingredients to make some oatmeal and cookies (mmm!). As I was checking out the checker commented on how tiny Aliya Juel was and asked me if she was "way" premature. I held back the tears and laughed an uncomfortable laugh as I ran out of the store. Wrong thing to say at the wrong moment. I went their to buy all the necessary ingredients to change just that. So I made the cookies, while being a little skeptical, with flax seeds, yeast, and oatmeal. MMM! They are delicious and healthy. It has been 3 days since I have become completely obsessed with my daughters health. I Have also been pumping twice a day and getting 1/2-1 ounce between feedings and been giving this to her. She has gained 1 1/2 oz. My plan is working. YAY!! I am still going to go meet with a lactation specialist today to see if there is anything else I can be doing to be proactive.  I want what is best for my daughter. I would have assumed that supplementing with formula would be the first thing to do. EVERYONE and EVERY site said not to supplement. I am glad I have decided not to. 
If you would like the recipes let me know and I can e-mail them to you. 

3 comments:

  1. Good job Emily!! I'm sure you came accross this site in your searching, but KellyMom.com has been my favorite nursing site so far. They seem to have an article on everything I could ever imagine :) Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like something I could use (in the future). I'm really hoping that I have a better (and longer) go at it next time. If you choose to use a prescription, make sure you ask for domperidone, instead of reglan, which is more commonly prescribed. Domperidone doesn't go through your brain first, making already fragile emotions and hormones go even more crazy! I think it helped me, along with all of the herbs I was taking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of you! I nursed Brooklyn for 14 months! She never had an ounce of formula. It made me feel so happy, and satisfied as a mother to be able to do that for her. There is a mother's tea that you can get. I drank that all the time. Good luck Em, and stay positive. I heard that stress is not good for your milk supply.

    ReplyDelete